Hunger Not a Game

As I read on Malia’s Blog, “How would you feel if” I told you that Suzanne Collins’ novel, The Hunger Games (link to Hunger Games trailer), was actually happening in the world?  If you haven’t read this series, it is about kids fighting for their lives and dying, not only from murder, but from things like hunger and starvation.

In the Week 4 Challenge, we looked into the challenges people are facing around the world today.

One of the main reasons I chose to look into World Hunger is that I am already sponsoring a child for World Vision so I was inspired to help children around the world, especially in Africa.  I found a problem called  “Hunger Not a Game”.  It shows that people, most of them being children, are dying of hunger and must fight to stay alive, just like the Hunger Games.  Hunger kills many children each day, making the world similar to The Hunger Games.  Over nine million people, five million of them being children, die each year from starvation and hunger worldwide.

This kid is only one of the millions of kids suffering of hunger.

This is one of the many mothers struggling to care for her hungry child.

IF WE GET INVOLVED, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  THE CHILDREN WON’T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THIS, STRUGGLING FOR FOOD.  Go to Hunger in the Horn of Africa for more pictures to learn more.

Visit Global Hunger to get involved and save the starving people in the world.

7 thoughts on “Hunger Not a Game

1. This is a well written and moving post Olivia! I love how you said “It shows that people, most of them being children, are dying of hunger and must fight to stay alive”, this is very touching and inspires me to make a difference. Keep up the great work!
    ~Malia

2. Hello Olivia!
    I like how you compared world hunger with the hunger games with the name “Hunger not a game.)
    Have you been doing anything to help world hunger?
    See you later.
    -Evan

• Thank you so much Evan! I have done the FreeRice (FreeRice) program. It is really great. If you want, you could try it out. It donates grains of rice for every question you answer correct. It also helps us with our math, English, etc skills. 🙂

3. I quite agree with you, Olivia! It sounds sore that in the 21 century people still die of hunger. All these photos of starving children make me cry. I have joined the FreeRice (http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1382) program and I would be happy if my grains could save somebody’s life!
    And what are the most serious problems in the place where you live?

If you have time, please, check out our blog http://kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/. We took part in World Water Day last year and Russian students created some online slogans calling to save fresh water http://kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/OlgaK./world-water-day/. Bye!

• Thank you Mrs. Flower! I have also done FreeRice. It is a great program. I think the problems where I live are mainly homeless people. I see them everywhere and it just breaks my heart. My carpool gives food and water to one specific person every morning when we are driving to school. I can tell that it makes him very happy! 🙂
      Also, I love your blog!